Monday, January 11, 2016

RP2 MOOCs and edX

Since I have just completed the edX Demo course and have read several articles on MOOCs, I feel like I have a very good idea about these types of online learning programs work. The edX Demo course was interesting and provided a good first-hand experience with a MOOC learning environment.  I think there are several pros and cons to these types of programs, based on the edX experience and on information I've read.

One pro to a MOOC, as was pointed out in the Educause video (MOOCs), MOOCs are a means of creating connectedness between content and learners on a global scale. It allows people all over the world to connect and collaborate--to connect people and information, and to connect the workplace, higher education, and lifelong learning.

Another important pro to MOOCs would be the access to a much broader range of content than students might otherwise get. A student's local school/college may not offer every class the student wants, so a MOOC environment could very well open up so many more class options than their local school could offer.

Yet another pro would be the affordability factor, if MOOCs remain as free courses. This widespread availability to people of all income levels could provide a means to acquire a vast array of knowledge and skills that some people might not otherwise have access to. As pointed out by Adrien Basdevant in the article, Will the future of Education be Online, Open and Massive?, MOOCs "arrive at a time when dissatisfaction with the way the courses are taught in higher education is growing. The cost of education is going up, the quality is not really increasing, and all the while dropout rates are climbing." Cost is very much a factor that prevents many people from pursuing higher education. MOOCs, if they remain free, can bring higher education and lifelong learning to a virtually unlimited number of people.

Additionally, I think Basdevant was spot on also when he stated that digital learning can deliver a more "relevant, personalized experience" both online and offline. And that it's possible that MOOCs can provide a way of educating that are much closer to what the current generation knows, "which is a more connected and mobile world."

Basdevant also pointed out some of the main cons and drawbacks of MOOCs. He noted the possibility of cheating and the feasibility of grading. I agree that those would be two main concerns for any online course. Another inherant challenge would be with regard to interaction and feedback, which isn't really the same in an online learning environment as it is in face-to-face classroom environments. 

Another con to MOOCs would be with regard to equity of access to technology. Not everyone, even in this digital age, can afford a computer or tablet. Not everyone has high speed internet access or the hardware and/or software necessary to take online classes. The "digital divide" is a problem not only for higher education, but for our public school children as well. MOOCs can only be beneficial to those students/people who have access to them. Deborah McCallum talks about this type of "academic disparity and inequality" in her 2013 article, Technology in Education : BYOD & Equitable Access. McCallum notes that, "Unfair advantages will lead to an increase in the digital divide and to uneven competencies in digital citizenship and literacy." So this would definitely be a concern for the future of online learning.

I also read some interesting remarks about MOOCs from Kio Stark, in an article on BrainPickings.org, written by Maria Popova entitled, Don't Go Back to School: How to Fuel the Internal Engine of Learning. In that article, Stark critiques MOOCs for attempting to replicate the offline experience online. She feels that what MOOCs should be doing instead is building a new model for learning. Stark states that MOOCS are "designed to put teaching online, and that is their mistake. Instead they should start putting learning online. The innovation of MOOCs is to detach the act of teaching from physical classrooms and tuition-based enrollment. But what they should be working toward is much more radical — detaching learning from the linear processes of school." Starks other comments about how to be effective independent learners gave me more food for thought about the potential effectiveness of MOOCs.

After reading much about this topic, I personally do not feel that MOOCs or other similar types of online learning are the end-all-be-all future of education. I do think they can play a meaningful and important role in how students learn in the future--and in how teachers ultimately teach. I think more than anything else they can benefit learners by providing them with free, or at least (hopefully) affordable options for continued education. They can also provide them with a connectedness with a much broader range and type of information and with other learners across the globe. They could certainly make their way into K-12 classrooms at some point too, either as full classes, or just as alternatives to classes that students can't fit into their regular schedules at school.

However, the effectiveness of MOOCs isn't going to be determined solely by easy access or affordability, or by how connected it may make its students. It may actually rely much more on each individual's internal desire to learn and to keep learning, and how each individual defines effective pedagogy.

While there are some drawbacks to MOOCs, I think that overall they can be a powerful tool for educating and enriching the lives of all age ranges of students, and help to create generations of lifelong learners. But that isn't to say that every single student or learner will benefit from MOOCs. What works for some doesn't necessarily work for others. This is as true for MOOCs as it is for any other type of instruction.

6 comments:

  1. As you wrote about the fact that these are free classes, I wondered if employers would accept the completion of these classes along the same lines as a normal college degree. Personally I would appreciate the employees pursuing the extra content, but it would not replace the college degree, at least not at this time.
    The classes are only free if you do not want certification or any other premium extras that are offered.
    Do you feel that if MOOCs made it to the K-12 arena that students would be self-guided at those levels? Do you think it is possible that those students could complete a course on their own? In my opinion, I think teachers could pick and choose what part of the MOOC could fit into what they are teaching. It seems like a better option than YouTube due to the interactivity engaging learners. I can also see, though, where this is an additional resource on top of the many others that are available to teachers today. It becomes overwhelming with the masses of resources available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a K-12 environment, I think some students could complete the course on their own, Hope. But I do think there are some students who aren't going to be disciplined enough to do it. This is true for all things where students are concerned really; it just depends on their own level of intrinsic motivation to learn. But I think that be part of our responsibility to try to inspire them to want to learn in that way--and I think we could do that for most. But there will always be at least some students who could not be as successful that way--be it because of learning style or motivation or some other factor.

      Delete
  2. I agree with comments you made about the affordability factor of MOOCs. It would be nice if these college-level classes remained free or low cost, however I think if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. In my opinion, MOOCs cannot operate at this level while offering higher-level classes. Granted the premium extras, such as certificates, cost a bit, I can only see the prices rising. It is kind of like fishing - you reel in a couple people, then the word gets out how wonderful these courses are, so more people catch on and suddenly the price of the courses rise.
    I am also curious as to what the operating costs are. I cannot believe that professors are going to create these courses and operate them along with the teacher's assistant for nothing.
    I disagree with your comments about the idea that not everyone has access to high-speed internet, hardware or software. Libraries offer access to technology for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Points well made, Hope,and I wonder about those things too. We couldn't expect anyone to do these things all the time for free. It's not practical. So I do wonder about operating costs too.

      With regard to my comment about not everyone having high speed internet access etc, I meant that they don't all have it in their home. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Tina,

    I enjoyed your thoughtful post. I agree that MOOCs can "...be a powerful tool for educating and enriching tool for educating and enriching the lives of all age ranges of students." The students of today will be working in environments where Twenty-First Century Skills will be very important. Online collaborative sessions are already an extremely important tool in the business world and I can see the trend increasing to other careers. In law enforcement for example, collaborative sessions are held with various departments to discuss similar crimes. I would have never seen this happening when I first entered the field in 2003. The State of Ohio also holds mandatory training for police officers in an online setting, which helps financially struggling departments afford to keep their police officers up to date. Are these online training sessions best for everyone? No they are not, and I don't believe that its because of the "Divide" between generations. We all learn differently and these training sessions the State puts on is not a "hands on training". Most police officers are hands on learners, but the State is doing the best they can with what they have to offer. I like the level of engagement that edX gives learners. I had fun playing around with all the functions of their classrooms. I think that the current generation of juniors and seniors that I teach, would also enjoy edX. They are always talking about video games on Xbox One and Playstation 4. Just think what the future of education would look like if it could transition over to those platforms. We would have a generation of rocket scientists. They put so much time and effort into "gaming" that they could care less about going for a bike ride over to a friends house or playing a "pick-up" game of baseball or football. I think that the way we as educators approach teaching and learning should take those factors into consideration when designing curriculum. Lecturing is something that I do not like, however it's really unavoidable in social studies. What I've done to incorporate lecturing into my class is making videos of no more than ten minutes in length that I assign to students for homework. I know that every student in the United States doesn't have access to a computer and the internet, and that we are very fortunate at our school that our students do have this access. Eventually, however, I see that access will be available for everyone because it'll be a necessity. Just look at how much the banking industry has changed from writing checkbooks to debit cards to purchases hardly being made in cash. Who knows what the future holds, but I believe technology will play an integral part in it.

    Take Care,

    Ryan McKinnon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make some great points, Ryan. I also agree with regard to the Xbox and Playstation platforms. What might be achieved if those are utilized as true learning tools. My grandson is 12 and is very much into gaming on his Xbox. I am encouraging him strongly to channel that passion into a future career in video game design. How awesome would it be if he could take classes for doing that right on his Xbox?!

      I stopped teaching in 2007 (believe me, I regret it). I've been looking for another teaching job to no avail since 2009. And so much in education has changed since that time. I am learning so much about educational technology right now and I'm so grateful for it. Taking this classes is going to help me so much by the time I am able to find a job again. And interactions with other students like you helps give me new perspectives as well, so I appreciate your comments. :)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! :)